DIY School Visit Kit for rail staff
Whether your interest is freight trains, passenger trains, or trams, the track safety messages are similar and important for all students to learn and practise. It can be daunting doing a school visit, especially if you don’t normally do that in your role.
We recommend doing an interactive session with a class of up to 30 students, as opposed to doing a talk in front of the whole school or grade, because it is a far more effective method of learning. It’s also more fun for everyone! We’ve put together a DIY School Visit Kit to help make your visit easier and to give students a chance to learn and retain more.
This kit is suitable for visits at primary schools, and is free for Australian rail industry personnel.
What’s in the kit (click button below to order)
- Resources with 8 activities and all the items you need to run these successfully
- Session guide for Foundation, Years 1 & 2 (ages 5 to 8)
- Session guide for Years 3 & 4 (ages 8 to 10)
- Session guide for Years 5 & 6 (ages 10 to 12)
- Info on how to use the kit, including a USB stick with an instructional video
- Giveaways and certificate for the teacher and class
- Info for teachers including links to the curriculum
Click the ‘Order your DIY School Visit Kit’ button below to order your kit.
To use the kit, simply:
- Speak to the school and arrange a day to visit
– The activities are designed to be run with a class (up to 30 students), so please keep this in mind as you may need to book multiple sessions over a full day.
– You’ll need to ask for an empty room or the furniture to be pushed to the sides in the classroom.
– You’ll also need access to a computer with internet, and an interactive whiteboard or projector.
– Ask the teacher how much time you will be allocated, and let them know you’ll need their help during the visit.
- Have a read over the materials relevant to the class level(s) you are visiting. Plug in the USB to a computer and familiarise yourself with the content.
- At the visit, follow the session guides for the correct year level and time you have been allocated, and give them their giveaways.
If you have any questions, please contact us ahead of your visit via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be more than happy to help.
Thanks for making a positive contribution to rail safety!
We’ve had some great feedback about our DIY Kits from rail staff who have used them!
“They are an amazing kit, bright and colourful which attracts the kids’ attention, and they learn whilst having fun.”
“The slap bands were great! The activities were clear and easily able to be implemented. Presentation and ease of use of the kit was great.”
“I am very impressed by the kits, I think they are fab. Well set out, well presented, great ideas and activities. Well done.”